A Travellerspoint blog

Days 32 to

In Darwin

sunny 30 °C

Days 32 and 33
Well, we have been busy the last two days. Cleaning the van of dust and dirt after the gravel roads we have been on. Hiroe did some washing and we have done a LOT of shopping; A new Tom Tom navigator, Some toilet chemicals, food, electrical items for some repairs etc, etc.
Rodney and Alyssa arrive tomorrow so we have been trying to have all these jobs done prior to their arrival.
Even though it is the middle of winter it is quite HOT up here. 30 C.

Day 34. Well today is the big day when son Rodney and Grand daughter Alyssa arrive from Sydney to join us for about 5 weeks. Did a bit more on the caravan this morning - Fixing up the privacy screen on the awning which didn't fit very well.

Day 35. Today was very busy. After breakfast we drove to Nightcliffe intending to visit the shoreline but on the way found a Sunday Market so had a quick look around before driving on to the wharf at Nightcliffe.
From here we drove on to East Point where we travelled around through the Military Museum area and the WW2 Gun Emplacements.
The Rock shoreline here is quite spectacular and colourful. There are many ships and aircraft in Darwin for joint excercises with the US, The Japanese, The New Zealanders and the Aussies.
We then drove in to Darwin itself and parked close to the Smith Street Mall where we had lunch then continued on to look at the Northern Territory Parliament House which is quite different.
From here we visited the N.T. Art Gallery and Museum before returning to the caravan so that Rodney and Lissie could make use of the swimming pools here.
Later in the evening we went to Mindil Sunset Markets where we walked around looking at all of the food, clothing etc
and then watched the sunset. It was quite spectacular.
It was time to eat dinner so as we had already decided on what we would have, it was back to that stall for some lovely fish, salad and sweet potato chips. (Lissie had a whole Pizza).

Day 36. First task this morning was to replace the battery charger in the caravan as the old one had died. While Bob was doing this and monitoring the whole process of rejuvenating the batteries Hiroe, Rodney and Lissie went to look at Lee Point.
This evening we went on a dinner cruise of Darwin harbour. The food wasn't quite what we expected but was passable.

Day 37. Our last day in Darwin as we will be leaving here tomorrow morning. We went into the city in the morning and Hiroe, Rodney and Alsysa went into the World War 2 Fuel tunnels which were excavated under the town but never actually used.
Bob has an upset stomach so we returned to the van, had lunch then started the packing up of the awning and tidying up the caravan.

Posted by bobandhiroe2015 23:08 Archived in Australia Tagged in darwin

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


It has taken me a while to pass on my thanks for giving me the opportunity to say thanks for you to pass on what it feels like to travel the wide country again.The times we traveled together will always bring back tremendous memories & make me again feel how wonderful it was to travel with you.You are certainly having a ball how I would still love to be doing it.Thanks travel safe & keep your wonderful stories coming. Max

by nskee2010

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint